|August 08, 2017||09:00 (EST)||1||$695.00||Register|
|November 06, 2017||09:00 (EST)||1||$695.00||Register|
Duration: 1 day
Learn how to improve your negotiating skills to improve your bottom line
Quote: In business, you don’t get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate. *Chester L Karrass
We are negotiating almost all the time. Whether working on a project, working with colleagues, clients, suppliers, or family members, a successful outcome depends entirely on understanding the negotiation and communication process. Good negotiation skills can save time, your company money, and improve relationships.
Participants in this workshop will become more skilled as a negotiator. Gain greater understanding of why it is important to prepare for the negotiating process regardless of the circumstances. Then through ctc TrainCanada’s applied approach to learning participants will role-play using real case studies and situations returning to the workplace, well prepared to become more effective at negotiating, improve team performance and your leadership capabilities.
This workshop will teach participants how to:
- Prepare for the negotiating process and why it is important
- Understand the needs and interests of all parties involved
- Learn about the advantages and disadvantages of various negotiation styles
- Understand different strategies for dealing with tough or unfair tactics
- Develop alternatives and recognize options
- Understand basic negotiation principles, including BATNA, WATNA, WAP and the ZOPA
- Conclude better agreements through creativity
- Identify potential barriers or hindrances to the engagement
- Adopt a collaborative approach to ensuring trust, rapport and long term gains
- Practice negotiating techniques through one-on-one role playing
Introduction and Course Overview
- Getting to know participants
- Discussing what will take place during the workshop
- Opportunity to identify personal learning objectives
What is Negotiation?
- Explore the different types of negotiation (including positional bargaining)
- Phases of negotiation.
The Successful Negotiator
- Explore key attributes of a successful negotiator.
Preparing for Negotiation
- Elements of preparing for negotiation: identifying your fears and hot buttons; doing research into your issues and the opponent’s issues; and preparing your WAP, BATNA, WATNA, and ZOPA.
The Nuts and Bolts
- Tips on preparing documentation and choosing a place for the negotiation.
Making the Right Impression
- Importance of self-presentation during the negotiation
- Small talk
- First impressions
Getting off to a Good Start
- Establish common ground
- How to use ground rules
- Exchange information
- What to do if the negotiation gets off to a bad start.
The Bargaining Stage
- Six techniques for negotiating success
- Opportunity to practice and observe these techniques through a role play.
Inventing Options for Mutual Gain
- Four obstacles to mutual gain
- How to turn obstacles into negotiation advantages.
Getting Past No and Getting to Yes
- Ways to get past no and how to break an impasse, so that you can get to “yes.”
Dealing with Negative Emotions
- Ways to deal with negative reactions during a negotiation.
Moving from Bargaining to Closing
- When it’s time to move from the bargaining phase to the negotiation phase.
The Closing Stage
- Build win-win solutions
- Achieve a sustainable agreement
- Reach consensus.
- Final questions
- Create an action plan.
* Dr. Chester L Karrass, US academic and author on negotiation skills.